Mold is a fungus that naturally occurs in the environment. It can be found indoors and outdoors, and it’s often difficult to get rid of. While mold is generally not harmful, certain types of mold can cause health problems, including respiratory issues and even death. If you think you may have been exposed to mold, it’s important to know the symptoms of mold poisoning. So, what does mold poisoning feel like? Keep reading to find out.
Related Post: Best Air Purifier
Related Post: Best Air Purifier for 1000 Square Feet
Related Post: Best Air Purifier for Allergies
What Does Mold Poisoning Feel Like?
Here, we are providing symptoms of mold poisoning and the effects of mold poisoning. The symptoms of mold poisoning are:
If you suffer from allergies, you may notice that your allergies get worse after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may feel exhausted for no apparent reason after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may feel as though someone has given you a headache (or several) after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may find that you’re having trouble recalling things after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may notice yourself suffering from frequent nosebleeds when you wake up after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may find yourself frequently dealing with sinus congestion when you wake up after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
Watery Eyes and Runny Nose
You may notice your eyes and nose running excessively and having a hard time stopping it after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may notice your weight fluctuating, and you’re not sure why after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
You may notice that you’re suffering from seeing things like dots, flashes of light, and halos around lights after spending time in a high-moisture area like a bathroom or basement where mold is thriving.
What Causes Mold Poisoning?
The cause for this illness is due to the toxins produced by the types of mold. These are called mycotoxins or microbial volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Mold types that produce these toxic molds include but are not limited to the following:
- Stachybotrys Chartarum (also known as black mold)
These molds are present indoors and outdoors, but they thrive in moist areas. They can be found on wood (inside houses), straw (e.g., livestock feed), leather, paper, textiles, etc. When moisture accumulates on these materials or surfaces where these molds are present, it creates a favorable environment for them to grow and spread quickly. This allows them to release mycotoxins into the air, which can be harmful when breathed in.
Mold spores are the ultimate ones responsible for spreading these toxins. These spores float through the air and land on various surfaces indoors or outdoors that they can infest. They can invade living spaces and non-living materials like walls, ceilings, wood, furniture, etc. If a person breathes these spores into their nose or mouth, they may become very ill from mold poisoning.
How Long Does It Take to Get Mold Poisoning Out of Your System?
Generally, it takes about 2 months for most people to get rid of mold poisoning, but this can vary depending on the type of mold involved and how much exposure a person gets. If you think you may have been exposed to mold or are suffering from symptoms that might indicate that you’re suffering from mold poisoning, then it’s important to speak with your doctor or visit a mold poisoning clinic.
However, if you know that you’ve been exposed to black mold (Stachybotrys Chartarum), then you must get out of the contaminated environment immediately and seek medical attention right away.
What does mold poisoning feel like? Many people have been exposed to mycotoxins from black mold and may not realize it. Exposure can cause a wide range of symptoms, including memory loss, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, weight loss, sinus issues, and more. You must notify the signs and speak with your doctor if you think there’s a chance that you may be suffering from mold poisoning.
Even though Stachybotrys chartarum (black mold) is very dangerous and can cause death, all molds should be treated as potential health hazards. If you have an indoor infestation of any kind, call a professional to inspect it and get rid of it. This will help reduce the risk of mold poisoning.
If you think you may be suffering from symptoms of mold poisoning, visit a doctor or clinic immediately to assess the severity of your symptoms and get started on treatment right away.
Hi, I am Maria A. Davis and I am a loving mother and a dedicated reviewer for Homeheavenz.com. I tried and tested a number of air purifiers and humidifiers on the market to improve indoor air quality. I created this guide from my knowledge and personal experience so you can improve the air quality in your home and office.